COATESVILLE AREA SENIOR CENTER: Job Description
POSITION TITLE: Director of Nutrition Services
REPORTS TO: Assistant Executive Director
STATUS: Full-Time Non-Exempt
It is the mission of the Coatesville Area Senior Center to provide a welcoming place where people 50 and better can socialize and enhance their ability to live fulfilling and healthy lives. It is the expectation of Coatesville Area Senior Center that all staff will mirror the mission of the Coatesville Area Senior Center in the performance of their work.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: Reporting to and in collaboration with the Assistant Executive Director, the Director of Nutrition Services will be given the responsibility to oversee all nutrition-related programs and services including but not limited to the community breakfast and congregate lunch programs and will be responsible for ensuring proper cleanliness, sanitation, and equipment maintenance. Additionally, the Director of Nutrition Services will work with the Executive Director to establish strategic goals and annual action-plans for promoting the Nostalgia Kitchen by CASC brand and growing the attendance and profitability of nutrition related programs.
- Culinary Arts degree (or combination of comparable education and experience).
- Successful background in menu planning, ordering, and budgeting.
- Chester County Food Manager (PIC) Certification or the willingness to obtain.
- Desire to work with older adults and the ability to put service of others before self.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of team.
- Ability to prioritize work and to appropriately delegate in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, tact and professionalism.
- Familiarity with computers and computer software including Microsoft Office and email.
- High level of accuracy, efficiency, and punctuality.
- Must have a current driver’s license and (when necessary) be willing to use personal vehicle for work.
Individual must exhibit enthusiasm, dependability, patience, initiative, and flexibility. Individual must be able to work as part of a team by working successfully with staff, volunteers and participants. The individual must be open-minded and able to work with all elements of human diversity represented within the internal and external community.
- Meal Programs and Services
- Coordinate the work of staff and volunteers to plan and implement nutrition activities, programs and services.
- Develop, coordinate and oversee a Nutrition Committee (comprised of staff, volunteers, and participants).
- Regularly solicit and evaluate feedback on meals.
- Plan menus and (when appropriate) submit for approval.
- Maintain up-to-date inventory, order and (when appropriate) shop for all necessary supplies and ensure the sanitary storage of all supplies.
- Ensure that all foods are handled properly and that all sanitary procedures are followed as designated by the Chester County Health Department, the Chester County Department of Aging Services, the Pennsylvania Department of Aging, and the Coatesville Area Senior Center.
- Management and Supervisory
- Recruit, train and retain qualified volunteers to ensure adequate coverage for kitchen and dining room needs.
- Supervise and train the Title V funded Sous Chef (when appropriate).
- Schedule, manage and ensure routine kitchen maintenance needs and required inspections.
- Provide routine safe food handling and sanitation training to kitchen staff and volunteers.
- Represent the Coatesville Area Senior Center by attending quarterly Chester County Department of Aging Services nutrition meetings.
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of all necessary paperwork that is or may be required by various funding sources and/or the Executive Director.
- Manage the custodial contract and oversee/complete a regular schedule of kitchen, dining room and restroom sanitation including but not limited to the removal of all garbage, recycling and food waste, the proper sweeping and mopping of all areas, and the proper cleaning of all dishes and flatware.
- Fundraising and Profitability
- Responsible for promoting the Nostalgia Kitchen by CASC brand.
- Develop, coordinate and implement café sales (soups, desserts, to-go meals, etc.) and oversee onsite catering for room rentals or organizational events.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to ensure that fundraising goals of the Coatesville Area Senior Center are met.
- Collaborate with program staff to ensure that the program goals of the Coatesville Area Senior Center are met.
Certifications and Training: 1. Maintain current adult CPR, First Aid, and AED certification. 2. Maintain Chester County Food Manager (PIC) certification.
- Guidance and instruction will be provided by the Assistant Executive Director.
- Meal programs will be evaluated periodically by the Executive Director.
- A performance evaluation will be completed annually by the Executive Director.
Typical Schedule: Typically, Monday through Friday 8am to 3pm; however, schedule will vary based on demand. 35 hours per week unless additional hours are approved in advance.
Benefits: Vacation, sick, and holiday pay in accordance with current personnel policies.